The Town’s Half Marathon and 5k Dates
** Important: we are dedicated to making this the best event to date. This includes getting all runners in and out of the site in timely and ensuring a smooth start. ALL runners (including both Half marathon and 5K runners) are required to pick up their race packet at the Expo on Friday, August 11, 2017. Should you not be able to attend to expo or have a friend pick it up on your behalf, you MUST select the additional Race Day packet pick up option in you Active account. NO EXCEPTION.**
Friday, August 11, 2017
The Town’s Half Marathon Expo
Packet Pick-Up: Frank H. Ogawa Plaza- 1:00pm- 7:00pm
Saturday, August 12, 2017
Start & Finish Location- Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
Half Marathon Start- 7:00am
5K Start: 7:15am
Festival Begins: 8:00am
The Town’s Half is a participant’s race- we strive to deliver a memorable experience. In addition to our awesome course showcasing the best of Oakland, each runner will receive: Signature Medals: and we mean serious BLING!
- Commemorative mason jar
- Technical Shirt (one you’ll actually wear)
- Awesome Finisher’s Medal (we’re talking serious hardware)
- Free Admission to the post-race RunOAK Festival (the reason we all run, right?)
- More to come!
Explore Oakland’s beautiful and bustling mosaic of historic, natural and contemporary locales! The Town’s Half Marathon weaves runners through this bayside gem, giving you an up-close look at its distinct neighborhoods and scenic surroundings.
Mile 0-2: Old Oakland & Jack London Square Begin your 13.1-mile journey by heading south through Old Oakland and the Jack London Square neighborhood to the Waterfront Warehouse District. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, you can run through this active commercial area—the fruit markets in particular are fun to watch—as you warm up for the rest of your half marathon!
Mile 2-3: Chinatown Upon hitting your second mile, you’ll turn back towards downtown Oakland through the city’s famed Chinatown, where you can take in this culturally rich backdrop.
Mile 3-4: Fox Oakland Theatre Head up Broadway, one of Oakland’s major thoroughfares, to Telegraph Avenue and enjoy the stunning Art Deco architecture of the Fox Oakland Theatre. Last year’s participants will recognize iconic marquee as the inspiration for our 2015 finisher medal!
Mile 4-5: Piedmont Avenue As you enter the second third of your race, you’ll cross into Piedmont Avenue. Far more than just a street, this notable neighborhood is home to a wide array of locally owned restaurants, bars and
Mile 5-7: Temescal You’ll then return to Telegraph Avenue, which stretches across one of the city’s earliest settled regions, Temescal. This neighborhood has been part of Oakland since 1897, and you’ll have the chance run through it as you ascend a gradual climb on 51st Avenue towards the City of Piedmont.
Mile 7-9: Grand Avenue Travel through picturesque Piedmont and enjoy a relaxing mile-long descent down Grand Avenue as you get ready to take on your last five miles! Another local hotspot, Grand Avenue is lined with bars, shops and restaurants.
Mile 9-10: Lakeside Park Entrance Mile nine brings you within eyeshot of one of Oakland’s most stunning rustic attractions, Lakeside Park. Here you’ll begin the tail end of your half marathon along the periphery of Lake Merritt.
Mile 10-12: Lake Merritt Surrounded by gorgeous flora and fauna, you’ll run along the water’s edge of the serene Lake Merritt. The oldest designated U.S. wildlife refuge, Lake Merritt is both home and stopping point for nesting and migrant birds. This striking landscape also contains many recreational attractions, including the family-friendly Children’s Fairyland, an amusement park, gardens, a children’s natural science museum, public picnic grounds and boathouse. It’s a very popular running destination as well!
Mile 12-13.1: Oakland City Hall & Finish Line You’re in the homestretch! Leaving Lakeside Park via 14th Street, you’ll complete The Town’s Half Marathon by running back to the finish line at Oakland City Hall
in Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, the center of Oakland’s civic government. Now it’s time to celebrate your amazing achievement at our finish festival! Relax under the inviting NorCal sun or in the shade of the Plaza’s majestic oak tree, which is beautifully displayed on this year’s finisher medal!
- ALL RUNNERS MUST HAVE VALID ID TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WINE / BEER FESTIVAL.
- Cancellations – Entries are Non Refundable and Non Transferable from Person to Person
- Please be aware that ALL entries are non transferable and non refundable. Entries are good only for the year they are intended.
- Entries cannot be deferred from one year to the next and are non-transferable from person to person. This applies whether or not you may be injured, have moved, or any other reason. We cannot make any exceptions to this policy. Thank you
for your understanding.
- If you cannot participate after you have registered, you may still pick up your shirt at the Expo on Friday, August 11, 2017.
- No medal or shirt will be mailed. No exception.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may not be able to participant in future events.
- You must be in good health.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the RunOak Expo. If you cannot attend the expo, you MUST purchase the Race Day packet pick up option in imAthlete.
- Race numbers are required to participate.
- You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon. If accompanied by a parent or guardian, any age can participate in the 5K.
- No bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course.
Upgrading from the 5K to the Half Marathon
- Transfers from the 5K to the Half Marathon are NOT guaranteed.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your race transfer.
- Your bib may not reflect the change, depending on the date of the transfer, but the timing chip will be updated.
Downgrading from the Half to the 5K.
- Transfers from the Half Marathon to the 5k NOT guaranteed and must be submitted prior to the event.
- Email us at email@example.com to request your race transfer. There is a $15 administration fee. We are carefully monitoring all transfers in order to ensure the quality of our event.
- Your bib may not reflect the change, depending on the transfer request date but the timing chip will be updated.
- Gear check will be available near the start line for your pre-race/post-race clothing. While you run, it’ll be held securely while you experience the best of Oakland. When you finish, simply return to the same location to claim your belongings.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
- Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter a secure participant only area. In the Runner Zone, you’ll rehydrate, refuel as well a be awarded your well deserved finisher’s medal and commemorative mason jar. Be sure to grab all your goodies, because once you exit this area, you can’t re-enter. Besides, there’s a party going on and its time to celebrate.